Background Checks / Clearances
PA ACT 153The State of Pennsylvania has taken a big step in keeping children safe by passing the PA Act 153 of 2014. This law helps to ensure that any adults who come in contact with children, either paid employees or unpaid volunteers, complete a comprehensive and regularly updated criminal and child abuse background check.Norwin School District is pleased to announce Safe Kids, an online system that streamlines the acquisition, processing, and tracking of background checks and clearances for District employees, substitutes, volunteers, club sponsors, boosters and contractors. Safe Kids is the District's means of tracking and approving Clearance and Background check information. Establishing a Safe Kids account does not automatically get you the appropriate clearances and background checks. You must visit the appropriate website and obtain each clearance.
The Safe Kids Software system offers these convenient features:
- Efficient tracking of applicable background checks/clearance documents.
- Email notifications of background checks/clearance expiration.
- Easy update and renewal of your applicable background checks/clearances. All clearances MUST be renewed every 5 years.
- COMING SOON: Anytime access to your background checks/clearances documents on file.
- Upon approval, access to the Norwin School District ACT 153 clearance compliance certificate.
How to submit your Background Checks/Clearances via the Safe Kids System:
CLICK HERE to review the Norwin School District Clearances (Certifications) policy which includes definitions and examples of each staff and volunteer type.
- Determine what background checks and clearance documents you will need using the chart below.
- Obtain the determined clearances and background checks by accessing the sites hyperlinked in the chart header row. NOTE: The Safe Kids system will also outline how to obtain each clearance once you access the site and establish an account.
- Access the Safe Kids system via the link below.
- Create an account and enter your demographic information. Please note that the email address you provide will be used for expiration notices.
- Obtain clearance documentation and upload the documentation yourself or by visiting a clearance processing center at the district (see chart below for locations.)
- District personnel will process and approve your background checks and clearance documents.
- You will receive an email when your documents have been accepted. The email will include a link for a certificate of compliance. To be ACT 153 compliant, please print and retain the certificate, and be prepared to show your certificate, along with valid photo ID, in order to volunteer, work or assist with District sponsored events.
TypePA Criminal BackgroundPA Child Abuse HistoryFederal Criminal History ACT 24 FormACT 126 TrainingSexual Misconduct/Abuse Disclosure Processing Center Full/Part-Time Staff Needed Needed Needed Needed Needed Needed** HR Department at Administration BuildingAssistive/ Independent
Volunteers and Volunteer Chaperones
Needed* Main office of a school your student(s) attend Volunteer Coaches/Sponsors Needed
Needed* Needed Needed Needed** Athletic Office at Norwin High School Athletic Event Staff Needed Needed Needed Needed Needed Needed** Athletic Office at Norwin High SchoolContracted Services Needed Needed Needed Needed Needed Needed** HR Department at Administration Building* Per Act 15, FBI (Fingerprint/Federal Criminal History) is NOT required if: 1) the volunteer has been a resident of the Commonwealth of PA during the entirety of the previous 10-year period (waiver form required); or 2) if not a resident of the Commonwealth of PA – during the entirety of the previous 10-year period, but has received an FBI clearance/certification at any time since establishing a residency in the Commonwealth of PA and provides a copy of the clearance/certification.
** A Sexual Misconduct/Abuse Disclosure Release Form must be filled out and returned to the Human Resources Office for: (1) Current Employer, regardless of whether the employer is a school entity and/or whether the applicant is employed in a position that involves direct contact with children;(2) All former employers that were school entities (regardless of job title); and(3) All former employers where the applicant was employed in a position that involved direct contact with childrenUploading your Clearance Documents into the Safe Kids system tips:Smartphone apps such as Camscanner, can be used to take photos and create PDF versions of documents, for easy upload into the system.CLICK HERE to access the Safe Kids System
Establishing a Safe Kids account does not automatically get you the appropriate clearances and background checks. You must visit the appropriate clearance/background check website and obtain each clearance/background check by visiting each site hyperlinked in the table header above.